Thursday, March 29, 2007

Why God Runs ~Part 6~

Luke 15 tells the story of the prodigal or wasteful son. This man decided that living at home wasn’t good enough for him so he demanded his inheritance and left his father’s house to spend it on the riches of the world. Then one day he hungrily watched the swine feasting on their slop. It was then that he came to his senses. This young man realized that even the servants of his father’s house were better off than he was at that moment.After preparing the speech that he would deliver to his father he headed back home. While he was still in the distance his father saw him and ran to him. This parable (an earthly story with a heavenly meaning) shows us that God is waiting for His children to return and He will run to welcome us home.

There was once a story about a convicted child molester who had committed one of the most heinous acts of all time. He was arrested, tried, and sentenced to the death penalty. At his death were his parents-still crying over their child and the life he had chosen. As the needle was injected into their son’s arm they watched him die. Even knowing what he had done, his parents felt great love for him. I’m sure, at that moment, they could have felt other feelings. Maybe remorse, maybe shame, maybe even hate for the atrocities he had committed but overwhelmingly, they felt love.

Even though he was seen as a monster to many, to them he was their baby who had come into the world a few days early, in the middle of spring, at seven pounds-six ounces, with a head full of hair, and beautiful blue eyes-he was their child.

The love of a parent is the greatest love imanginable. I John 3:1 states, “what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God.” There is nothing too horrible that we can do to make God stop loving us and reject our apologetic heart.

We can live our lives so poorly that men may never trust us again, our spouse may never forgive us, our children may never again want anything to do with us, but God will not turn His back on us if we come seeking His forgiveness. He tells us in Hebrews 13:5 I will never leave you nor forsake you. He loves us with a love so deep, so pure, and so powerful that if we give our lives to Him, He will take us home to Heaven no matter who we are, where we come from, or what we have done.

Are you a child of God who has fallen away? D o you know that God is waiting for you; ready to run to welcome you home? He is waiting for you. Are you ready for Him? I t's time to come home.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

About 3 years ago I dropped into a black hole – four months of absolute terror. I wanted to end my life, but somehow [Holy Spirit], I reached out to a friend who took me to hospital. I had three visits [hospital] in four months – I actually thought I was in hell. I imagine I was going through some sort of metamorphosis [mental, physical & spiritual]. I had been seeing a therapist [1994] on a regular basis, up until this point in time. I actually thought I would be locked away – but the hospital staff was very supportive [I had no control over my process]. I was released from hospital 16th September 1994, but my fear, pain & shame had only subsided a little. I remember this particular morning waking up [home] & my process would start up again [fear, pain, & shame]. No one could help me, not even my therapist [I was terrified]. I asked Jesus Christ to have mercy on me & forgive me my sins. Slowly, all my fear has dissipated & I believe Jesus delivered me from my “psychological prison.” I am a practicing Catholic & the Holy Spirit is my friend & strength; every day since then has been a joy & blessing. I deserve to go to hell for the life I have led, but Jesus through His sacrifice on the cross, delivered me from my inequities. John 3: 8, John 15: 26, are verses I can relate to, organically. He’s a real person who is with me all the time. I have so much joy & peace in my life, today, after a childhood spent in orphanages [England & Australia]. Fear, pain, & shame, are no longer my constant companions. I just wanted to share my experience with you [Luke 8: 16 – 17].
Peace Be With You
Patrick

Pain Everywhere said...

www.myshadowspeaks.wordpress.com.....you might find this interesting....